More pictures and a video after the break
The circuit board with 5 SiPo’s (74HC595) to control 40 outputs.
View of the back of the circuit board.
Putting the laser-cut parts together to form an early structure. The material used is white and black 2mm thick perspex.
The front plate with all the letters on it. Due to the high density of characters, the temperature probably got to high and parts started to melt. The plate is curved and I’ll have to think of a different approach to create the plate.
zoomed in on the front plate
Inserting the logic in the structure
adding the LEDs and resistors + connecting them with the circuit board.
Switching on the power to light up the LED’s in ‘groups’.
problems during the assembly:
The previous prototype was insufficient to conclude anything because the front plate was too thick to let enough light come through. This meant I had to redo some tests to conclude how many LED’s are needed per word.
I used a 2mm thick white cardboard that reflects more than the wood I used before. The depth of the lightboxes was reduced from 20mm to only 6mm which is just enough to fit a 5mm LED. The lights are controlled using an Arduino Uno with an adjusted version of my Charlieplexed wiring and coding. The ‘words’ are between 3 and 7 characters long and a white LED was placed on both sides.
A first prototype was made to start exploring possible lighting solutions. I used a laser cutter to ‘print’ 4mm thick MDF parts and clicked them together. The horizontally oriented partitions (rows) are fixed while the vertical ones are mobile to allow easy modifications. (see picture)